Saturday, February 11, 2006

February 7 through February 10

This was a tough and anger filled week. Tuesday morning I went to the track workout. It felt good to run. We had the 10 x 400 to run foloowed by an 18 minute run. Dan the man Jones ran with me for the last 6 of the 10x400 and then did the 18 minute run with me also. I enjoyed the company. I was scheduled for 4th chemo treatment on later on that day. I should also mention that I have also had a persistant cough for the last 3 weeks. After I got to the cancer center for my appointment, the port in my chest was accessed for a bllod sample. Then it was time to see the doctor. He said he wanted to postpone this treatment so I could get another Pulmonary Function Test (PFT). His wanted to be cautious since I have had this cough for so long. One of the drugs that is part of my treatment is Bleomycin ( http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic3/bleomycin.htm in case you are curious). One of the side effects in 10% of the patients is damage to the lungs. Just the kind of thing an endurance athlete likes to hear !! Anyway, that was scheduled for Wednesday morning.

Wednesday morning rolled around I was just going to work from home for and hour or so until it was time for the PFT at the hospital. Now I'm not an angry person, or one to lose my temper, but something snapped inside of me that morning before the appointment. The next thing I knew, I was madder than a wet hornet and found myself in the garage taking out my anger on several inanimate objects. Needless to say, I won. (I guess I should fix that big hole in the wall that the trash can made sometime) I came back in the house. By now, I could see the concern and fear in Sharon's eyes. I hugged her and told her that I was not angry at her, just what was happening. I told her I was not going to have the PFT today and I was done with chemo and I was going to work.

Next thing I knew, I was at work (still very angry) and the Doctor called and wanted to know what he could do to help. We discussed things for a while and I expressed my anger and frustration and that I was tired of not being in control and that I wasn't having the test. He suggested I think about it and give them a call later today and re-schedule the test.

Later that afternoon, I called and rescheduled for a Thursday test. I was still very angry. After work, I came home. Had dinner. Then let Sharon know that even though they want me to stay out of the water, I was going swimming with the Dallas Athletes that night. Again I was taking charge of whart was happening in my life. I still had a lot of anger inside.

I went to the swim and saw a lot of the friendly faces of the DA group. It felt good to swim. Swam 2800 yards in the 50-55 minutes that I was in the water. It is suprising how not having any hair makes your goggles not stay on !

Thursday morning rolled around and I got up at 4:30 and went to the DA store for the morning run. Here is the run- http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.mb?episodePk.pkValue=451124 (Thanks to Todd S for sharing this web site with us--this is cool stuff-check it out !!

The run felt good. Ran 6 1/2 miles in the 65 minutes and then streched for 20 minutes. I love the new time and location :)

Thursday night, Guy M showed up at our home with dinner in tow. We had spoken previously and he and Kristin V wanted to bring dinner over just to help out. Dinner was delicious. Thanks Guy and Kristin.

Friday rolled around and it was time for the next chemo treatment. I insisted that I visit with the Doctor first an discuss the results of the PFT. According to the test, my lung volume is still normal, but my diffusion capacity had dropped almost 10% since the start of treatment thanks to the Bleomycin. The doctor said that this is acceptable. "To who?" was my question. According to the Dr, a 50% drop is the top end of an acceptable loss. I kinda of lost my cool with him. I said "That might be fine for the average Joe that sits around on his ass watching TV with the only excercise coming from pushing the lawn mower around, but it is not acceptable to me. What are the options for this?"

He said the options are cancer or a little lung capacity loss.
Silence on my part. The answer is obvious, but painful for someone that has grown to love swimming , biking, and running.

He suggested we closely monitor my lungs during the next 3-4 weeks and re-evaluate the use of the Bleo at that time. He felt it was to early in treatment to drop it just yet. I agreed with the stipulation that if I felt things with lungs were getting worse, we would do another PFT before 4 weeks was up. He agreed.

I had my 4th chemo treatment yesterday. I am half way through these treatments ! Yes.

I feel pretty bad this morning as I update this blog. Its about 11:15 and for those that braved the cold temps and wind, they are still on the 4 hour bike ride this morning. I miss the ride. I'm there is spirit guys. Wish I was there physically also.

More later.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ken - HOORAY! You are half way done with chemo. Know last week or so not ideal but we are all behind you and know that this thing will be behind you before long. Keep up the spirit. Our love and prayers are with you, Sharon and the girls. Look forward to seeing you in March. Love, Donna

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ken. I really admire you for how you are handling this harsh situation in your life. Hang in there for God is with you even though you may feel that He is looking the other way. He always has His guardian angels with you at all time. Keep up the good fight and continue your biking, swimming and running. God will see that you will cross the finish line with His Blessings! You are an inspiration to many. Keep up the writings for we ALL look forward to see your results. It helps up other peons accept life for what it really is.
njb

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home