Monday, March 13, 2006

March 10, 11, an 12

Friday--took a day of rest today. I wanted to let my legs rest some from my longest run ever on Thursday. I did go see Pauline today for a much needed massage. She is so great.

Saturday--I woke up early today, around 5:00 am and couldn't go back to sleep. So I got up and started fueling for the 4 hour bike ride that was scheduled for the day. Watched a little of the news and headed out the door. I felt pretty good as the morning got started. The group headed out for the first hour at 7:00 am. After warming up, the group seemed to take off at a pretty good pace. I kept up with them for the first 1/2 hour, and then started losing ground. I settled back in with a few others that were also not going quite that fast. One thing I am noticed today was that I am having a harder time climbing the "hills" today. Not that we have huge hilss in this area. Inclines that I could previously ride without to much difficulty, just seem a little harder today. I assume this is fatigue from the chemo.

We arrived back at the Dallas Athletes store after the first hour and re-grouped with some of the others riders that are not part of the 1/2 Ironman program. I decided to head out with a group that was going out for 2 hours. That would put me at 3 hours for the day, and then I would decide after that whether or not to go for the 4th hour.

This 2 hours wasn't much different. We headed out from Coppell towards the Bartonville area. There are some climbs along the way. Agian I had more trouble with the climbs than I have had in the past. I have a triple chain ring on my back which gives me some "granny" gears which means a lot of mechanical advantage for climbing, but you don't go very fast. Anyway, several times I had to get into those gears and use them, and it was all I could do to climb those hills. Needless to say I got dropped fairly quick after getting into those hills. Fortunatly, fellow Dallas Athlete Tori had not ridden for a while and she was also having some difficulties as well. Although she could have dropped mevery easily. She waited on me several times. Thanks Tori. So I didn't have to ride alone.

Got back to the store after 2 hours. That gave me 3 hours worth of riding and 52 miles. I was done. I stretched with a group that was already back (ok so it was Yoga) for 20 minutes or so. Then went home and ate some lunch and took a nap. I was toast.

Sunday--Got up and met the group for a 2 hour ride that was to be followed by a 40 minute run. The ride was tough, we were fighting a very strong wind. Seemed like 20 mph with 30 mph gusts at times. I held on as long as I could, again having trouble with the hills. The group was allowing us stragglers to catch up. After an hour, Dan "The Man" Jones and our fearless leader Tom "The Wind is your Friend" Ryan and I turned back as the rest of the group went on.

We had a balzing time on the way back with a tail wind pushing us at 25-28 MPH for a good long stretch. We got back extremely fast. Then did a little stretching and off I went for a 40 minute run. I ended up walking some of the 40 minutes. I was just tired. Afterwards, stretched for a few minutes and went home to shower, eat, and take a much needed nap.

More Later.

Ken

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home