Friday, March 10, 2006

March 8 and 9

Wednesday--I got up and ran an easy 4 miles this morning knowing that the Thursday run would be long. NOt much else happening today. Feeling pretty good though.

Thursday--I woke up this morning at 4:15 to the sounds of rain and some thunder. My first thought was that the run was canceled. Wrong ! I got up anyway and checked the radar on the interent and it showed a very narrow band of showers passing by the DFW airport. Well the run is not far form there and it looked like it would done raining in that area in the next few minutes. I waited a few minutes and then decided to go. I drove over to the meeting location and pulled into the parking lot. As I pulled in I saw several others waiting to start, I had pulled into the parking lot as they were ready to leave. I leaned over in the car to tie my shoe, and when I looked back up again, they were gone. I had to hustle to catch them, which I did. 84 mintes and 8.25 miles later, I was done with the run and back at the starting point. That was the longest distance I have ever run. I have been slowing inching that distance up.

The run was a little tough getting started, probably because I had to go faster than normal to catch the group before warming up at a slower pace. The last 2-3 miles of the run felt very good. It was at a good pace for me and it felt like I could have kept going, at least for another mile or so. I did notice my shins hurting a little at the beginning of the run. Towards the end, the felt ok. The rest of the day they felt sore. I iced them for 15 minutes each before retiring for the night. Tomorrow is Friday and will be a rest day for me. Saturday will be a big cycling day and Sunday will have a bike/run brick in store. Looking forward to it.

In talking with different people, I sometimes question why I am doing this training while fighting cancer and undergoing chemotherapy? And also, how am I able to do this training while fighting cancer and undergoing chemotherapy? The answer is simple. Back before I was diagnosed, I had set a personal goal to do this 1/2 Ironman. After the diagnosis, I still had my personal goal, but-I want everyone one to know that even with a cancer diagnosis and treatment, it is still possible to carry on an active lifestyle, test yourself mentally and physically and do the things you want to do. I also firmly beleive that all of this physical activity is helping me to battle this cancer and also making me a stronger person. Are there tough days? You bet! Especially the 3-4 days (for me anyway) following a chemo treatment. But I know this cancer and treatment will be gone before long, and that as each day passes after a treatment, I feel better. 5 treatments down and 3 to go !! Bring it on ! ! !

I'll Be Baaaack !!

Ken

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home