Monday, June 05, 2006

June 5

Good day to all.

Today I completed radiation treatment number 15 of 18. Only 3 left. The skin on my neck is red and sensitive to the heat, the facial hair in the treatment zone has also fallen out. The biggest complaint I have is the soreness and pain in my throat. It hurts to swallow and it is also sore. Some days it is worse than others. When it hurts more, I have milkshakes and protein drinks instead of solid food.

As I near the end of this treatment, I think back on when this all started some 8 months ago. It seems like it was just last week. I feel fortunate that my cancer was diagnosed early and I'm glad things went as well as they did. It has been a mentally and emotionally challenging time though. But I am a better and stronger person for having to go through it. I hope that others that may be diagnosed with cancer are surrounded with the same kind of people that I have in my life. The support I have seen during this experience has been beyond compare. I suspect that when this treatment is over (Thursday this week) I will be overwhelmed with emotion. I have already felt humbled this week that this bad dream happened to me, but it is nearly gone.

More later this week as I can put it into words.

Ken Smith, Survivor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home