Wednesday, March 29, 2006

March 27, 28 and 29

Monday--I took today to rest from the hard workouts this weekend. I have chemo tomorrow--treatment number 7 of 8....almost done.

Tuesday--My back was sore and stiff last night with some low back pain. I decided not to run this morning. Went to work for a few hours and then off to chemo. When I got to the doctors office, I had my blood counts checked. They were the lower than they had been anytime during the treatment so far. The Dr. decided to reduce the dosage of 2 out of the 4 drugs and to not give me one of the others at all. The PET scan I had done last week came back clean. That is great news. Now just finish the treatment plan.

It’s amazing how the body/mind anticipates things. When I walked into the cancer treatment center today, I immediately began to feel nauseated. The Pavlovian response is very strong for me in this treatment I guess. As this 7th treatment began, I asked Sharon to get me one of my nausea pills. They nurses at the cancer center also give an IV for nausea during the chemo. The 3 hours of infusion seemed to take forever. I did manage to sleep a little. I sipped on some water during the treatment and did eat a cookie and a small bag of chips. IU wasn’t hungry, I just wanted to soothe my stomach and maybe stop/reduce some of the sick feeling.

After the treatment, I was walking out to the car with Sharon, and I had a little meltdown. I guess it was the “I am so tired of feeling sick from these treatments” to the “I only have to do this one more time” feeling. I couldn’t stop the tears from rolling down my face. I am so ready to be finished with this and put this bad dream behind my family and me. I am so blessed to be surrounded by those who deeply care. My wife Sharon and my two daughters, my mom and dad, and my sister’s and their families. My extended family of Dallas Athletes has also been a great source of support and motivation as I go through this.

Wednesday—I do not feel like going to work today, so I plan on staying home and working some. I feel a little better than I expected, probably due to the reduced chemo drugs this time around. I will probably go for a walk later today.

Looking forward, this weekend I hope to work out with the group if I feel better by then. April 8 is the Iceman Triathlon in Southlake. It is a sprint (or short distance) event. I plan on doing this event. Three days later, April 11, will be my last chemo…….

Keep pushing forward…..

Ken

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ken, you are amazing! I wish I could be there to cheer you on this weekend. Please know that you and your family continue to be in my family's thoughts and prayers. Have a great time with the triathalon and I know you will give it your all...you have proven that you are a fighter!

Shari V.

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ken,
Keep the faith and pursuit of your goals. I am praying for you and your whole family. Many blessings.
Mark Sullivan

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find some information here.

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home